A quick guide to tying the knot in the green mountain state

Vermont has a relatively simple marriage process. You don’t need blood tests or a waiting period, just a marriage license which is readily obtainable. 

Obtain a Vermont Marriage License: You can get one from any town clerk’s office in Vermont. The fee is $80 and the license is valid for 60 days with no waiting period.

  • Both of you must appear in person to apply for the marriage license. 
  • Both parties must be at least 18 years old. 
  • Both parties must be of sound mind and free will.
  • You cannot marry close relatives.
  • If you were married previously, you cannot still be legally married. You’ll need to bring along The finalized divorce decree  if either party has been previously married
  • Bring identification and information about yourselves
  • Including parents’ full names (including mothers’ maiden names) and birthplaces. Birth certificates can help with this, or maybe just Call Your Mom
  • No waiting period or blood tests are required in Vermont.
  • Both parties must sign the license and present it to the officiant before the ceremony

Find an Officiant: Anyone authorized to solemnize marriages in Vermont can officiate your ceremony. This includes: religious clergy, judges, and justices of the peace ….or me! I got ordained to marry my brother. (No, I’m not actually married to my brother, it’s just a fun sentence to say.) You can also have a friend or family member (over 18) get ordained for your day!

If you are at least 18 years old, you can apply to the Vermont secretary of state for authorization to become a temporary officiant. The authorization will be limited to a specific civil marriage of a specific couple. Your authority will expire once the couple has received their marriage license

Get married! Your ceremony can be anywhere in Vermont, as long as your officiant is authorized to perform marriages there.

  • Once you decide on a location be sure you have permission to be on the property (public or private) are not trespassing and obtain any permits or pay any fees the location may require. Don’t be the couple that’s the reason we can’t have nice things.

Return the license: After the ceremony, your officiant will need to file the completed marriage license with the town clerk’s office that issued it.


  • The officiant has 10 days to return the completed license to the town clerk’s office where it was issued.
  • When you obtain your license you can order hardcopies to be mailed to you. If you are planning on changing your last name, be sure to order a few copies.


Share this post

5 Timeline TIps for your Vermont Wedding Lindsay Raymondjack



A lot of moving pieces go into planning a wedding day timeline and we know it’s easy to feel like a hot mess! Grab our free guide to plan the perfect timeline for your day.